Running a SaaS business, you already invested in basic content marketing: writing website copy, creating landing pages, posting social media updates, and maybe some blogging.
But only when you become strategic with content ideation, creation, distribution, and measurement — setting concrete goals and basing your content investments on data — do you enter the SaaS content marketing game.
And that’s when you can better reach and connect with your target audience — building greater brand awareness, credibility, and authority that ultimately translates into better organic search rankings, qualified traffic, and lead generation.
Content marketing for SaaS is a tad different than marketing in other industries, because:
- You’re promoting both a piece of technology and a subscription service
- Your marketing strategy must balance focus on user acquisition and retention
- Your content must educate prospects and address buyer hesitation (considering your product is intangible)
- Your users research products and cloud-based services primarily through Google, making SEO a critical part of your content strategy
- Your user acquisition relies heavily on the value you provide via content, not just your product’s quality (“build it and they will come” is lousy advice.)
Why Use Content Marketing for Your SaaS Business?
Content marketing is a powerful tool that can help you to attract and engage your target audience, generate leads, and boost conversions. When used correctly, content marketing can be an essential part of your SaaS business’s growth strategy.
There are many reasons why you should use content marketing for your SaaS business. Here are just a few:
- It can help you establish thought leadership and credibility within your niche. When you create content that is valuable and interesting, people will look to you for expert advice and help when they need it. This can have a huge impact on the success of your business by helping you to build trust with potential customers and encourage them to choose your product over that of your competitors.
- Your customers are likely to be researching their purchases online before they make a decision, and content marketing can help you to reach them at this stage of their journey. Creating useful articles, guides, and case studies will enable interested prospects to find your business when they are searching for relevant information.
- It can help you nurture your leads and move them further down the sales funnel. By providing helpful resources that address their specific needs and pain points, you can keep your business top-of-mind for potential customers and encourage them to take the next step in the purchase journey.
- Content marketing is a cost-effective way to build brand awareness and attract new customers. By creating valuable content that attracts organic traffic, you will be able to direct potential customers to your website without having to spend money on expensive advertising campaigns. This can help you to cut the costs of growing your SaaS business and improve your ROI.
- If you create high-quality content that is shared by influencers, you will be able to reach a larger audience and boost your business’s visibility. This can lead to improved brand awareness and increased website traffic.
- Content marketing can be used to support other marketing initiatives. For example, you can use blog posts to drive traffic to your website, landing pages to capture leads, and case studies to close deals. By integrating content into your overall marketing strategy, you can maximize its potential impact on your business’s growth.
- With so many SaaS businesses competing for attention online, it’s important to make sure that your company stands out from the crowd. Creating unique and high-quality content can help you differentiate your business from the competition and give potential customers a reason to choose your business over others in the market.
How does content marketing help SaaS businesses?
Content marketing can help grow your SaaS company in several ways. Below are a few positive results you can expect when you get on board with SaaS content marketing:
Increased brand awareness and authority
Publishing premium-level blog posts consistently will increase your odds of ranking at the top of SERPs. Higher rankings result in an increase in click-through rates (CTRs) and visibility.
A higher ROI (without a massive budget)
Businesses spend less money (and receive 3x more leads) when they embrace content marketing over traditional marketing.
A powerful connection with your customers
Content marketing is a tool you can use to build relationships with your customers and move them further down your marketing funnel. And, beyond purchasing your products, a customer who constantly benefits from your content will likely recommend your software products to others.
Content marketing for SaaS companies requires focusing on your audience and their needs, providing high-quality educational content, and mapping out the entire customer journey.
The biggest challenges presented by the industry—such as the complexity of the solutions, longer buying cycles, and a pressing need for education—should be reflected in your content strategy.
If you are interested in getting started with content marketing for your SaaS business, take a look at our content marketing service and our SaaS content solutions.